Lots on one to one tutoring has been going on this autumn at Studio QP. I think I have mentioned on here before how much I like this side of my work. After getting the email or call to book the session, I usually have an inkling what is coming out of the bag, but it is sometimes a complete surprise. One of the things I love about working like this is that I get to hear stories behind the the reason the quilt is being made. However, with this session I only got the latest instalment of why the quilt was being made, as it was bought in a charity shop and so its first maker is unknown.
It is no secret how much hand sewn quilts get me all a flutter, so this box of treats meant I almost needed a paper bag to breathe into! Jess, who booked the session, had bought the patchwork in a charity shop in Hove. There was a lot of unfinished patchwork in these boxes, and she wanted a way to finish at least one of them into something usable. We looked at the contents of the box, and decided this was the best one to finish…
It has lots of lovely pattern and prints, but the whole top is currently rhomboid as pieces have randomly been joined together. There were lots of tacked hexagons in the box, so we sorted and laid them out to work out how Jess could make the quilt top square. The prints are amazing – an assortment of clothes and household textiles. We loved the way it had been constructed, just pieces joined together, individual hexagons, circular rosettes, and random shapes. There were papers still in most of the patchwork, a very thin paper, most of them from pools coupons and football results. We spotted a year, 1977, on one of the pieces of paper.
The back is just as beautiful as the front, showing the blocks of colour.
The second large piece was darker, and had lots of dress cottons. It didn’t lay flat, due to odd pieces of fabric in non geometric shapes being pieced in. The fabrics are wonderful though.
There was a piece cut out of one side, for another project. As this piece of patchwork will not lay flat, Jess is planning to do this with the rest of it – to cut into it to make pieces to cover a footstool or something similar.
There were also these experimental pieces (I did say this box was FULL of treats!).
It was a pleasure to work on this project, and Jess is going to come back when it gets to the quilting stage. I can’t wait to see the quilt develop, and am so pleased that it did not get thrown away, and was bought by someone who is going to work on it to make something to be used in the home.